Tuesday 2 October 2012

Thinking about the cord...

Steve didn't cut Ben's cord when he was born- to be honest I think there was just so much going on at the time that his priority was ensuring Ben and I were okay (we had a bit of a tough labour). Cue generic cord photo from Google images...



This time round, I probably wouldn't have given it any further thought until I came across this-link! It really made me pause and reflect on this third part of the labour and what I would like to happen with the cord. I read up on lotus birth but decided this just isn't for me, however, when I reflected on it, I'm also not entirely comfortable with whacking a great plastic clip on my newborn's cord. As a new parent, most of us are hyper aware of what we will let touch our beautiful newborns delicate skin (buying organic clothes, beautiful lotions etc) yet somehow a big plastic clip seems okay? 

I'm not so sure now.

I think that perhaps I need to further investigate and look into the option of making my own fabric cord tie. Ben could be part of this process too and I feel much happier at the thought of having sterilised silk press against my little one's skin.

How about you guys? Any interesting tales to tell or ideas on what you plan to do with the cord?

7 comments:

  1. I had never even thought of making a fabric cord tie! The plastic tie is absolutely awful! What a good idea :)

    Thank you for the sweet comment! So the Nap Nanny is basically an inclined pillow. It's designed to decrease infant acid reflux, and increase sleep. We got it when Beckett was around 2 weeks old and he started sleeping through the night within 2 days of being in it! :) We got ours at Right Start: http://www.rightstart.com/search/result/?q=nap+nanny
    It is one of my top 3 all time favorite baby products- hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm going to look into that. Obviously I don't know about what Pea will be like but Ben really suffered from reflux until he was about a year, this sounds like a great idea.xxx

      Delete
  2. How cute! I wouldn't be brave enough o cut it I don't think...I'm such a woos!

    http://Heidi-likes.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  3. How interesting! I recently had a little girl and didn't even think about this. Definitely something to consider for future babies : ). Xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It just wouldn't have occurred to me if I hadn't read that post. It's definitely something I'm going to think about with little Pea.xxx

      Delete
  4. We used midwives, so they were sure to wait a bit to cut the cord to let the blood flow through. And then they let my husband do the cut. I can't remember if they used a plastic clip. My memory is terrible! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd read about this and it sounds really sensible. Did they just put the placenta nearby while you held/ fed the baby?xxx

      Delete