Thursday 26 April 2012

Thursday Through the Keyhole

I felt a little saddened taking these photos of Ben's room, it spoke to me of a boy on the cusp: no longer a young boy but just 'a  boy'.  The lovely rocket mural that my friend Gemma (and Ben's Godmothers) painted for him sits alongside the more grown-up football stickers he got from Santa. The room seems littered in such contrast, young boy and older boy. He's growing up. I can't sit here lamenting this fact as I love each stage of his development but still, it's always going to be a wrench. At the moment he still has a teddy, loves his rocket mural and will happily walk around the supermarket dressed as Spiderman- but I'm aware these days are numbered. 


If we were planning staying in this house, we'd decorate his room but as we're hoping to move it'll be like this for the foreseeable(cross fingers and touch wood we hope to move within the next 12 months). So here's a little peak at Ben's room:
{His bed cover is actually my brother's old 'He Man Masters of the Universe cover- true retro!}

{He's had these sweet door letters from being a baby}

{Drawers, lava lamp, copper jar (currently being saved for summer holiday) and fish tank}

{This fish is named 'Fishy' and there is another in the tank named 'Sucky'- Ben has a gift for naming pets!}

{Ben's bookcase- is it obvious his parents are both English teachers?}

{Old printing blocks from Tynemouth Market}

{Telescope and dream catcher; it does the job well as Ben's never had a nightmare}

{Bed side table is an old coal mining stool, my brother had one when he was young. Both have names and date of birth on them.}

So that's Ben's room. I have missed out 'The cupboard of doom' where all his toys are kept, but thought it might be funny in the future to do a post on all those hidden nooks and crannies in the house where you store your junk- I bet everyone has them one, or several if you're like us!

I'm already thinking about how to decorate his next room so any tips for an 8 to 12 year old would be great(he'll be eight when we move and I'm guessing he'll have his own decor ideas by the time he reaches his teens)!

Thanks for stopping by and happy Thursday.xxx







16 comments:

  1. what a cool room and no toys on the floor too! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be lying if I said I didn't wait for a tidy day to do this room!x

      Delete
  2. What a cute & peaceful room! I know how bittersweet it feels to make the transition from wee boy to boy-boy. But rest assured, the 8-12 re decoration will not be your last, if my boy is anything to judge by. We will be redoing his room this summer, and his only request was that he have a place to hang his running shoes and we don't paint it too light of a color...sigh...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I imagine Ben will be much the same but with football boots.x

      Delete
  3. Childhood is the most wonderful part of life, cherish every moment with your sweet Ben.
    It is very exciting to move, good luck on your search for a new place.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! We've just found out it is likely to be a bit sooner than we'd thought so that's pretty exciting.x

      Delete
  4. I would let him pick the color he wants ;)

    xo,
    janmloves.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he'd pick blue (which, as a bonus, happens to be my fav colour).x

      Delete
  5. I love the bed spread and the letterpress blocks for Ben's name! Such a lovely room and am sure his next room will be lovely too!

    Great blog by the way!

    Love
    amy
    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. too sweet! i love it all!


    xoxo from nyc & http://www.the-beautiful-things.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. His room is so sweet. The printing blocks are great. My son is turning 10 soon - a decade old! Can't believe it. Won't be a little boy for long. He saw his friend's newly decorated room yesterday and said that the walls are painted black. He loved it. Not sure we are going there though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black! Wow, that's brave, I imagine a teenager would love a black room though.x

      Delete
  8. Bless, this is so sweet! No idea how to decorate a 8 year olds room love the mural though!

    Lucy Loves To Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, that's the work of my friend Gemma. She even painted glitter into the flames of the rocket- she's a star.x

      Delete
  9. I'm going through this stage with my son. He's called Ben too :) He's 12 next week and we are currently in the middle of redecorating his room as it's been the same since he was 4. It's nice to see them growing up but you still want to mother them! I'll put some photos on soon. P.S. Love the space rocket and the lava lamp takes me back. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ben- what a good name! You'll defo have to post some pic's when it's done.x

      Delete